View Single Post
Old July 17, 2013, 10:24 AM
Hall Of Fame

Default is there a guide for ghosting/clone/imaging a new win7 install

I've heard all about this process, I think I understand what it means, and I've downloaded and burnt .img files before, but never cloned a fresh windows install (assuming it really is easier when your computer needs a fixup?). My PC is nearing the point for a format, so I will have to do it the old fashioned way at least once more.

Found this on a quick search, How to Create a System Image in Windows 7 but does it create a bootable disk or is it used when the system still boots and you start the refresh process from within windows?

I guess first of all, is it worth setting up a clone? I don't change hardware that often, and I have a fairly modern motherboard now so I think booting from a usb stick or external drive shouldn't be a problem. I've always formatted and used the dvd to reinstall.

Now assuming I go ahead with this, what do I need to know from the start, and don't be shy to dumb it way down, I'm not pretending to be an expert. I have a 120gb SSD for windows, but most of my data is on a separate HDD. Do I need to buy any 3rd party software?