Thread: Acer Aspire One
View Single Post
Old July 24, 2008, 06:54 AM
Rookie

If all you want to do on a netbook is browse the internet, Acer Aspire One is not bad... it uses a form of Linux as its OS. If you want to run more traditional software, add the MSI Wind and Asus EeePC 1000H to your shortlist. Both have 80 GB hard drives (as opposed to 8 GB SDD on the Acer Aspire One) and use XP as their OS. All three use the Intel Atom CPU which is single core but hyperthreaded.

I got the MSI Wind for my wife and she likes it. It is quite fast taking less than 30 seconds to boot XP to the desktop. Performance is pretty decent even after I installed Windows Live One Care anti-virus. I also connected it to an old 19" LCD monitor via the VGA cable and it could run apps on 2 monitors simultaneously (1280 x 1024 on the 19" LCD, 1024 x 600 on the netbook) with no problems. The only shortcoming I could see with the Wind is its tinny sounding built in speakers. You could, however, plug external speakers via the output jacks. I got the Wind from Staples Business Depot for around 530.