Thread: new gpu to buy
View Single Post
Old June 20, 2013, 08:56 AM
Manufacturer Rep

My System Specs

CPU may be a bit of a bottleneck, but I don't think you'll be sorry putting as much as you can into your GPU. I have one machine with a Phenom X4 965 and a GTX 680, and although I feel the crunch with CPU intensive work related stuff quite often it honestly doesn't seem to bog down games too bad. I avoid hosting multiplayer games with bots and that sort of thing, but otherwise it works just fine. Depends a little on what you're playing too.

As for the PSU, I too am a Corsair fan but have recently been trying out a Cooler Master and it's been excellent so far. I've got nothing bad to say about the brand, but I see your PSU has two 12v rails with just 18A each so a 770 would be a dicey proposition. I'd upgrade to something with more power on the 12v rail if going with anything higher than a 670/760.

As far as what GPU to get, I can say from personal experience that the 770 is completely worth it if you've got the budget. As similar as it is to a GTX 680 technically, I found the overall experience to be noticeably better. Performance was slightly better, overclocking was better, and the cooler was quieter (on our 770 GC vs. 680 GC). Our GTX 670 GC is on special at NCIX for $319 after rebates though, and for $80 cheaper it's certainly a strong contender with approx. 90% of the performance for 80% of the price: Galaxy GeForce GTX 670 Gc 1006MHZ 2GB 3004MHZ GDDR5 SLI 2XDVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E DX11 Video Card

Your plan is good but you'd probably want to do 770 + PSU ---> SSD ---> More RAM --> CPU/Mobo. I recommend more guts on the PSU if you go with a 770, and you'll notice the benefits of an SSD a lot more than going to 8GB of ram although both are highly recommended upgrades. Just make sure you get good enough ram that it's still relevant when you upgrade your CPU/mobo later on.