Thread: A new PC!
View Single Post
Old June 13, 2013, 02:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssandulak View Post
Yeah I forgot to mention I had already upgraded to a SSD in this computer. I'd be looking at going for as much ram as I can cram into the tower also, as it's dirt cheap (compared to the old days anyways) and photoshop can eat whatever you throw at it.
Any particular reason for the hydro cooler? I'm weary about water cooling in general, but is it needed for stock or just above stock cpu temps?
The H80i is because you want to overclock. Haswell seems to heat up quite a lot even with a mid-range overclock. AIO coolers tend to work more efficiently than their massive air-cooling counterparts, and have the benefit of exhausting heat outside the case. This particular one is also very quiet. AIO's are very safe, too. They are maintenance free, and the instance of leaks is very, very low.

Grab another 16GB of the same ram that I listed, then you'll have 32GB :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssandulak View Post
Really? The mobo specs on that one list it as a max of 64gb. Think that is a mistake? I mean there are only 4 dimm slots, so I'd likely stick with 32gb anyways, but the option to go higher is never bad.
You'd be looking at quite a lot more money to go with an LGA2011 system in order to have the 'option' of more RAM. The Intel core i7 3820 is typically about $320 - $340 (and is I think slower overall than the 4770K), while a motherboard would run you about $300 - $350. IMO, really not worth it, unless you plan on running a large amount of video cards.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Zalman FX70; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI GTX960; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 4TB WD Red, 2x 2TB WD Green; Corsair RM650I; Corsair Carbide 600C;
Son's Rig: M5A97; FX8350; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; Powercolor 7950; 250GB Crucial MX200; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;