Thread: Completed Servers home lab
View Single Post
Old June 11, 2013, 05:18 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

OK, just moved all pics (of bigger size) to Skydrive.

Adding to my worklog: A few days before acquiring the C6100, a friend of mine bought my KGPE-D16 setup: board, CPUs, RAM, HDD's, RAID card and all. I kept the other rig thinking of using that as my file server. A few days later, same friend called me saying he had a rackmount case to give to me as he didn't need it. He didn't know what brand it was and had no documentation with it. When I saw it, I knew it would be interesting for me as it had 8 hotswap drive bays on the front and a n+1 power supply setup. After looking around, I found out it was a Chenbro RM31408 case and was thrilled by this.

I already had 4 Seagate 2 TB drives so these fill out half of the drive bays. So the setup for my file server will be:

Chenbro RM31408
Supermicro H8SGL-F-O
AMD Opteron 6128
4x2TB Seagate drives
OCZ Vertex 2 60 GB (as boot drive)

I already had a Noctua NH-U9D0 and wanted to use that but it's too tall to close the top so purchased a Dynatron A5. I'm out of town this week so it should be waiting for me when I come back. I'll post some pictures then too.

I installed Windows Server 2012 on that setup and created a Parity Storage Space with all 4 drives thinking I would get decent performance... Wrong. Read performance reached 350-400 MB/s which is good but write performance is... dismal and that being still a nice word to put it. I got about 20 MB/s on writes. Searching about parity storage space performance, I came across this article:

Why Windows Server 2012 Parity Storage Spaces Might Perform Slowly - Premier Field Engineering - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

So in the end, parity storage space should be used only for reading, not writing. Next step, get a real RAID card for RAID 5.