View Single Post
Old July 22, 2008, 08:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mibs View Post
Thanks miggs! I appreciate the compliments!

Self-tapping screws are just screws that will make their own thread in the material they are being screwed into, vs machine bolts which require that a thread already exists for them to lock into. I've never actually used a Black Ice Pro 2 or any rad other than the Thermochill for that matter, but based on the pictures I've seen of it I imagine mounting works in much the same way for both these rads. I'm willing to bet the holes in the rad for mounting do not have threads in them already. Same goes for the fans, a machine bolt will just slide right through the hole in the fan. Actually I had trouble finding these screws at Home Depot myself. I found mine at Kent, but that store is in Atlantic Canada only.
Your welcome Mibs, I just said words that are deserved.

Umm.. I get you now, and your right machine screws I bought actually slide through the fans, and as for the thread on the rad, not too sure since the holes were there, and this rad doesn't have that much space between the fins and the hole as the Thermochill rads. Well as far I know, I am getting a little concerned even though I mounted a fan with a grill in the rad with those machine screws and they went in fine, also tightened, however I might use a washer or a lock nut of some sort. I had sent HW Labs an email but that was weeks ago, I still haven't heard anything.

edit: Mibs I just found out that the rad I have is a Black Ice GT Stealth 240 and it does have m4 threaded screw holes, apparently on danger den website they say 6-32 screws also work.
Sorry to hi-jack this thread, but thanks :)

Last edited by miggs78; July 22, 2008 at 08:45 PM.