Thread: Intel Vs. AMD
View Single Post
Old May 13, 2013, 02:50 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I have a mixed household currently, about a 50/50 split, only 3 systems with anything less than quad cores

to be honest, I think AMD has a good edge in the consumer market right now, especially with the APU being a decent balance of cpu/graphics capabilities. The market being quite multimedia driven these days, and then most users barely being able to check their email still in the year 2013 means performance doesn't matter to the average user since they're system is going to crawl with crapware no matter what you give them.

But really, nowadays, any quad core will do, clockspeed and max performance and not necessarily factors as many will not fully utilize the systems, and thats something that needs to be factored when building a system for a user as well. An intel platform, even an i3 is quite a bit more than building

I just checked neweg, forgive me to choosing the cheapest piece of garbage mobo's that I would never, ever, ever, ever, etc etc, never buy, but for the lowest cost to get an i3 platform, you can save 50$ and get a dual core AMD APU, thats roughly 1/3 the price, or, take that price difference and get a quad-core APU

Intel
i3 119.99 - Newegg.ca - Intel Core i3-2100 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623I32100
biostar board - 43$ - Newegg.ca - BIOSTAR H61MLV2 LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

AMD
board - 49.99 - Newegg.ca - BIOSTAR A55ML2 FM2 AMD Motherboard
A4-5300 - 54$ - Newegg.ca - AMD A4-5300 Trinity 3.4GHz (3.6GHz Turbo) Socket FM2 65W Dual-Core Desktop APU (CPU + GPU) with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD Radeon HD 7480D AD5300OKHJBOX
A8-5600k - 109$ -http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113281

I think I would rather build a quad core for a user on a budget because most times the extra cores make up for the difference in raw performance for day to day multitasking

I will admit, lately, for myself I've been preferring intel, more because it makes an easier hackintosh and less so for the raw performance advantage since many of my needs revolve around audio and some of the software I use just runs better on Mac. I still have AMD systems in use that are just fine. AMD is still a practical buy, I can't stand going to the store and ask for an AMD cpu and the typical acne-faced teenager says "well you know intel's better", and I hate it even more when they can't even make a valid point as to why.

We all know intel has the performance crown right now, it's been juggled back and forth for years, though not so much in AMD's favor anymore, but still. there's people who fanboy it out, people who stick to what they know, and people who buy whatever is reasonable or fits the bill at the time.

mind you, I'm barely blown away by anything new that comes out anymore. every new launch seems to be the same story or presenting numbers in said fashions to make things seem soo much better than they actually. but maybe i'm getting old, and bitter

and now i'm ranting, and I think it's break time

Last edited by stlouis1; May 13, 2013 at 02:55 AM.