View Single Post
Old May 7, 2013, 09:34 AM
Rookie

Default First Build in a long time

Hey guys,

It's been awhile. I'm unemployed so recently I've spent a decent amount of time on the PC and am looking to upgrade the system, specifically to support a second monitor. My current setup is really struggling on boot times and has trouble even running world of warcraft at 1200p while having a few tabs in the background so I haven't even bothered to setup a 2nd monitor yet.

My current setup:
E8400
EVGA 750i SLI
GTX 460 (upgraded to this 2 or 3 years ago, also have a couple 9600GT and a HD4850 around)
4GB DDR2
PC P&C 750W silencer
Seagate 500GB HDD

I figure the only thing worth keeping is the PSU. It's been awhile but I'm assuming 750W is still fine for a midrange system?

I just have a few questions...

1. Is it worth getting a 2nd 460 for SLI or not worth the hassle compared to a new single card? I'd like to play games in mid-high settings (no ultra necessary)

2. What's the 2013 equivalent of the E8400/Q6600? I'm just looking for something I can reasonably overclock with good bang for the buck. (I'd like to play games in mid-high settings (no ultra necessary) in 1920x1200 while still being able to power a 2nd 1080p monitor with a browser or video up.)

3. I'm assuming 16GB is pretty standard these days? My laptop has 8 so I'd like for the desktop to have a little more, for it's own dignity.

4. Are most of you running OS on SSD and HDD for storage? Boot times on the laptop SSD just blows the desktop out of the water. I have quite a few externals lying around so plenty of HDD space available still.

I'm looking to spend around $750 total. So I guess something like
$200 CPU (AMD or Intel)
$200 GPU
$200 SSD + RAM
$150 MOBO

To be honest I haven't kept up with pricing at all so I don't know if cost ratios have changed in the past 5 years.

I'm not looking for someone to make up a build for me, that's half the fun, just to help me catch up on current tech and get me back in the ballpark so to speak.

Cheers. Thanks guys.