View Single Post
Old April 24, 2013, 12:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewguy001 View Post
I have a ninja rev b cooler for the q6600 but it's rather large and won't fit in a HTPC case. It also looks like HTPC cases are also not cheap. I may just go with a standard cheapo ATX Tower.
That's what I did. I used an old Thermaltake V4 case that I had lying around. Cheap, all black and it fits sideways in an entertainment center. It could use a little more noise dampening though. Do yourself a favour, and before you buy a case, try to buy the cheapest case that has the most sound deadening in it.

It's worth it sometimes to get nice kit for your HTPC. Since I built mine up, it actually sees the most use out of any PC in the house (and we have 2 gaming rigs, 1 laptop, 2 tablets, plus the HTPC), so you want to make sure you enjoy using it. That being said, the demands put on it aren't that great, so you can get away with lower power hardware.

I would put an emphasis on silent operation over performance, and the quality of the peripherals. A bad mouse/keyboard/remote combo can make the HTPC a PITA to use, especially if you do lots of web surfing, not just movie watching.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;

Last edited by great_big_abyss; April 24, 2013 at 12:53 PM.