View Single Post
Old July 20, 2008, 12:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I just wanted to mention something that might not interest you at all, or you might already know... you've already mentioned that your planning to go with raid 5, so i assume you want the performance, but arnt confident enough to have no redundancy. After a couple tests with 3 drives i noticed there was quite a signifigant performance loss with raid 5 over 0 (though it was most definatly better than mirroring or single drives) You might be interested to know that with raid cards you can partition the raid drives to give you the first saaaaay 30 gigs of each drive (making a 90 gig partition) and then make another raid array with raid 5 with the remainder of the drive space. the first 20 or 30 gigs of each drive are going to be the best performing part of the drives anyway so you can have a raid 0 OS drive with 90 gigs that is of a very fast consistant speed across the partition, and a storage drive that is as big as you have left in raid 5, that is still quite fast as well as being secure. Just make sure you partition it within the add on controller's bios and not in windows.

so yea... there you go, if you knew that already... meby someone that didnt can read the post on say "eh? i didnt know that..." an if you didnt know that, well there... you can have your cake and eat it too ;D

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0