View Single Post
Old April 21, 2013, 05:36 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Help out a SSD noob (AMD system)

Hello.

I have decided to take the plunge into SSD. System is in sig (crosshair V, 8150, 8 gig 1333, 1tb wd black, 3x6950). All of the PCI slots are populated or blocked, so an addin card RAID controller or a velodrive is out of the question.

I mostly game and do mundane "work" such as excel and word while surfing.

I don't know if AMD does SSD caching, or if I can do a stable RAID array with the on-board controller. It lists two controllers:

1: ASUS (ATI (AMD)) SB700/800 SATA Controoller [AHCI mode], lists 6 channels with G3/SATA600 with the proper indexing for my dvd drive and my HDD.

2: ASUS Asmedia 106x SATA Controller, Which has two channels, and its maximum sata mode is G3/SATA600 aswell.

So as I see it, I have three options:

1: Run a raid 0 array. This is most appealing to me as it should allow 1,000 MB/s bandwidth with 2x intel 520. Please correct me if I am wrong, I haven't set up a RAID array since ultra ata/133 was out. I don't know if this is even the best option for my uses. I don't know if these controllers will be stable/fast, nor which controller to use.

2: Run ssd caching. I don't see anything about the crosshair V being able to cache, nor if this would even be a good idea for my use.

3: Run a single 240 gig drive. I need enough space to run windows and my games.

Also, how do I install windows to a new harddrive and import all my application settings and my desktop etc? I haven't ever been able to figure this out.

Thanks for your help.