View Single Post
Old April 15, 2013, 11:22 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
Looking for an ultrabookesque laptop that still gives decent gaming performance. I'm not talking pure power, but just enough to play games a ok settings.

Something like this would be perfect: GIGABYTE - Notebook & Netbook - Notebook & Netbook - U series - U2442D

For those who don't want to click the link, its the Gigabyte U2442D which has a i5-3230M (dual core 2.6) with a Nvidia 730M, but it's only .8 inch thick. However, I cant find it in Canada.

School and programming are the main focus of the laptop so a high resolution display is a must (1600x900 or 1920x1080). Gaming is second priority. The main games I play are only starcraft 2 and league of legends (2 very light games in terms of performance demands), but I do play more intensive games such as BF3, Skyrim, and other games on occasion.

Is there anything around a $1000 that has ok graphics, high res screen, and good portability?

The only thing I could think of offhand would be the ASUS Zenbook Prime line such as;
Asus ZENBOOK Prime UX31A-DH51-CA w/ Core i5-3317U, 4GB, 128GB SSD, 13.3in FHD, Win 8 64-bit at Memory Express
1080 screen, i5 core, SSD, but you're only getting intel 4000 integrated graphics. One of the guys I work with has one of the original zenbooks and I'm pretty impressed with the build quality and finish. There might be a lenovo or dell offering that's better (in fact I could swear there was a Dell ultrabook review here on HWC a few months ago) but I can't remember off the top of my head.