View Single Post
Old April 24, 2007, 07:45 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annirak View Post
I have idles that low with my new radbox setup (pics coming later). It's due in part to three things: 1) Modern processors idle really cool. 2) modern WC parts are really good 3) motherboard temperature readings are inaccurate.

Consider that a processor running at idle can get down to something like 10W. The thermal resistance of a good radiator with a medium flow fan is somewhere around 0.02C/w, and the swiftech storm's thermal resistance is 0.12C/W.

This leaves you with 10W and 0.14 C/W. which is:
(ambient)+10*.14=(ambient)+1.4C
so in a 20C room, a system idling at 23C seems pretty reasonable.
Yeah that too...

Not sure how you ended up with those results but i know one thing thought. I idle at 23 Degrees! LOL

But yeah the calculation sounds good. And Coretemp actually read temps directly from the Digital Thermal Sensors on each cores of my E6600 which is why it would be accurate.

Quote:
The temperature readings are very accurate as the data is collected from a Digital Thermal Sensor (or DTS) which is located in each individual processing core, near the hottest part. This sensor is digital, which means it doesn't rely on an external circuit located on the motherboard to report temperature, its value is stored in a special register in the processor so any software can access and read it. This eliminates any inaccuracy that can be caused by external motherboard circuits and sensors and then different types of programs trying to read those sensors.
- 16GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile
- Ultra X3 1000 Watt
- Asus Xonar DX 7.1 \ Klipsch Promedia 2.1 THX
- Corsair Vengeance 1300 Gaming Headset
- Crucial M4 SSD 128GB \ WD Caviar Black 1TB
- CoolerMaster 690II Advanced
- Dell UltraSharp 24''
- Noctua NH-D14