View Single Post
Old July 18, 2008, 10:45 AM
Rookie

Default Getting New Custom PC: Need Help...

Hello computer-fanatics,

After 3 years, it is time for me to get a new PC. Since I am not really the type of guy who knows his hardware, I could use the help of you guys (if possible). I am building my own PC on a Dutch website (I'm from Holland), which they assemble for some extra costs. I think this is in my advantage because their hardware is pretty cheap compared to other companies in Holland and I can use their total catalog so I can choose from pretty cheap products.
I will use this new PC to do some gaming (not really into much games, however, I play Football Manager very often (got my own site about it as well) and FM needs a good processor and memory to run fast), work on my website (Photoshop and some developing programs) and do some video converting/editing every now and then.
I would like to request some expertise for the hardware that I have selected. Perhaps you see some components that don't work well (or not at all) together or you know a better option for the same price. My budget is max 700-800 euro's. I hope someone has some spare time to help me out here. I am not an expert when it comes to hardware but I don't want to buy something and hear that it could have been better afterwards. Many thanks in advance.

1. Case: Cooler Master CM 690 - €69,-
Having some problems when it comes to selecting the right case. I selected the Antec Nine Hundred before this one but heard it's too big for my kind of PC-using. Other cases I have in mind are the Cooler Master CM 690, Sharkoon Rebel9 Value, Enermax Chakra ECA3052 and GigaByte Poseidon 310 (last one with dusk filter). Perhaps you guys know some more about cases and which one is good for me?

2. Processor: Intelฎ Core™ 2 Quad Q6600 - €159,-
Changed the processor choice from E8400 to Q6600. A lot of people on another site recommended the Q6600 for my activities on the PC. If you think I should go with the E8400 please reply. If some other components aren't compatible with my new choice of processor, please let me know as well.

3. Motherboard Socket 775: GigaByte EP45-DS3R - €119,-
Knowledge about motherboards is almost zero hehe. I have chosen this board coz of the good reviews I've read about it. If you know another gem, please let me know ;)

4. Power Supply: Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650 Watt - €79,-
I've heard that this Corsair power supply is a really good one, enough watt and a nice price. Are there better power supply units like Zalman or another type of Corsair?

5. Memory: OCZ 4 GB DDR2-800 Kit (OCZ2T800C44GK, XTC Titanium) - €79,-
The site where I'm going to buy the PC was promoting this memory on their frontpage. Timings for this one are: 4-4-4-15 (2x2GB identical modules). If anyone has a better suggestion please let me know!

6. Graphical Card: ATi Club 3D HD4850 512MB - €149,-
Changed the 8800GT with this ATi card by request of many people. Price stays the same...

7. Hard Disk: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 €59,-
Changed my previous choice to this Barracuda drive. 500GB is more than enough for me and I heard some good stories about it.

8. HSF: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro €19,-

Total: €732,-

I know I said max 700-800 euro's but this price is without a dvd-writer and warranty (3 years at house warranty for €89,-).

I hope you guys can help me out with this purchase. Many thanks in advance!

Take care,

Bozza

Last edited by Bozza; July 19, 2008 at 09:23 AM.