View Single Post
Old April 4, 2013, 08:25 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_big_abyss View Post
I was with you on that front, until I tried my 660 DirectCU. The 660 is to the double slot DirectCU heatsink as the 680 is to the triple slot DirectCU heatsink.

I cannot stress how nice it is to have completely silent video cards. The heatsinks don't have to work very hard at all. That would be worth the hassle of having a triple slot heatsink, in my mind alone.

Now, I just have to work on silencing the rest of my rig.
I know that card, its what went in my Cousins Rig.
And, I have one of the Original ROG Matrix Cards (260) that I won from the Folding contest in 09 here.
Still have it, and I know its quiet.
But, if you are truly innovative, you can do more with less. You just need the right engineers (take my 460 EE's for example), they stayed cooler than the Reference design while being Smaller.

The way I see it (maybe my view is flawed) is the triple slot design is compensating for poor thermal management and the best way the board partners compensated is by going bigger (which to me doesn't always mean better).

My thoughts, I've played with plenty of different cards. I prefer, at the end of the day....all my Heat to leave through the back.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com