View Single Post
Old March 26, 2013, 11:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Ordered one for the HTPC. Hopefully should fold well under water.
I would love to order one for the HTPC, and fold on it, but I have one problem.

Nvidia cards have a history of being 'laggy' when folding upon them. I suppose this is because they get 100% utilised, so that even basic tasks like opening folders and watching media becomes impossible. This isn't a problem on my main rig, as I am the only person who uses it regularly, so I can stop folding when I use my rig, and remember to start it up again when I'm done.

I wouldn't want to put that responsibility on a) my {relatively} computer illiterate wife, and b) my ADHD affected stepson. Having a card that would tempt me to fold either wouldn't be fair to them as they would then have to put up with a sub-par performing media experience when I'm not home, or FAH would be constantly forgotten and the card would sit idle.

Now, I'm not sure what the implications are with the new work units that don't fully utilize Kepler cores. In my experience, the GTX680 would be laggy on some WU's, and would perform fluidly on other WU's. What's more, V7 is now changed, with a sliding scale to assign importance to FAH. No idea what the implication behind that is, or how it works.

I guess my point is, the HTPC being a family machine, I can't justify putting a folding-worthy card in it and compromising the overall experience.

Edit: I just answered my own concerns and questions about the power slider bar in V7.3.6. You can set it to fold on 'screensaver'. I.e. when you computer is idle enough to activate the screensaver, the GPU will start to fold, then automatically pause when the computer is used. This seems like the perfect application for a family-used HTPC.

Folding Forum ? View topic - FAHClient V7.3.6 released

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;

Last edited by great_big_abyss; March 26, 2013 at 12:10 PM.