View Single Post
Old March 14, 2013, 09:16 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlef View Post
Sky,
Well written article. I have a few questions however.
1) Do you think that you're severely underplaying the value equation here?
From my testing, SLI had very little, if any problems with single screen use. The Profiles are quite up to date etc, so i believe that the old issues are exactly that, old issues. Please note i said single screen. I don't have any experience with multi screen sli gaming.
SLI still displays single screen issues in Dirt Showdown, Assassin's Creed and Hitman. To me, those issues devalue it to a certain extent, much like the problems I mentioned with Crossfire.

Also, the term "value" has different meanings to different people and I think I made that quite evident in the conclusion. For some, having a worry-free experience that's completely smooth is more than worth the additional cost associated with TITAN. For others who don't care about onscreen fluidity or don't notice stutter, TITAN is a poor value.

Quote:
2) Outside of time concerns, why didn't you include the 660ti in this review? I'm wondering if the results of this review would have been different if Titan was compared against a setup aprox 50-60% its cost. I understand that you cant review everything however, given the cost/performance value here, the content presented... this seems to be missing something. Was this at someones request?

I am a believer that had these two issues/questions been reviewed, we would see a completely different conclusion.
Time didn't even factor into that decision. Adding a GTX 660 Ti would have necessitated the addition of AMD's HD 7870 as well. A sit stands, with only three cards the frame time charts are quite confusing and adding more cards would have made the situation worse.

You also have to remember that both the GTX 660 Ti SLI and HD 7870 CF would have pretty much mirrored what their higher end compatriots achieved while exasperating the numerous issues.

I may revisit this with the two setups mentioned above. Maybe.

Last edited by SugarJ; March 14, 2013 at 09:55 AM.