View Single Post
Old March 12, 2013, 09:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by muziqaz View Post
Remember Pande Group's main objective is science. They write scientific papers not on how many points does Kepler lose but what has been done scientifically with the project.
While I agree with you on all your other points, I take small issue with this bit. Pande Group gets to write their scientific papers specifically because we, the users, are donating our extra clock cycles. Without us, the individual hardware owners, Pande Group and FAH would not exist.

Our reasons for donating are varied and ample. Many of us have known and lost friends and family members to various diseases. Some of us just want to see debilitating diseases eradicated from the face of the earth. We all have great reasons to contribute to FAH. One additional key reason is the points system. It promotes friendly competition, and makes donating 'fun'. Personally, many of the extra units I've brought online (at personal expense) have been to earn extra points, in order to better compete with other members of this forum. If points are taken away, reduced, or awarded 'unfairly', then some of the incentive disappears. People want to donate their extra clock cycles and electricity bills, but they want to have fun doing it. This is why you see some users migrating towards other avenues of distributed computing, such as BOINC.

Pande group needs to make sure to keep contributers happy with a predictable supply of points that is fair from platform to platform. It's not as if it costs Pande Group any money (aside from a few programmers) to award points.

I have seen increases on the 6xxx series. The 6950 currently in my main rig is doing about 15K PPD, an increase of about 9K from core16.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;