Thread: mITX?
View Single Post
Old March 11, 2013, 06:06 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the suggestions all! Slowly going through them and trying to decide on a case. This is pretty hard on a budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User #2 View Post
Bitfenix if you're going for watercooling (it's really the only choice besides not-yet-built N1)

the sg07 is a beautiful case if you like a window (although all the vent holes kinda ruin it IMO)

all-around, the node 304 is great, the smallest case that can hold a D14 (if you're into the utterly ridiculous like I am). I'll just say that installing the D14 is a fairly unpleasant experience, although not TOO bad when comapred to the difficulty of mitx builds in general.

the cm 120 looks horrible....there's no room for a beefy CPU heatsink in there.
Actually, I think I like how the node 304 looks more than the bitfenix prodigy. Price-wise though, the CM120 beats them both. Its just that the reviews that I've been reading are mixed about airflow.

Say we remove Tomb Raider and Mass Effect 3 from my game list (so its just Sims 3, Torchlight 2 and SimCity now). If I run everything at stock speeds, will I have a cooling problem?

This is going to be my first desktop (from always being on a laptop) so I'm a wee bit anxious about watercooling..

Also, forgive my ignorance but what is a D14?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
Your choice of case
ASRock FM2A85X-ITX mobo 140$
AMD A8-5500 Trinity APU, is a 65W part 110$
G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) Model F3-1866C9D-8GAB 57$
(most systems don't need 8GB but let's say you future proof)
WiFi adapter, go USB, plenty of good model on newegg.ca under 25$, 25$
SSD : your choice of 128GB SATA III SSD (I would go Vertex4/Crucial M4) 125$
HDD : WD RED or AV-GP, 2TB 115$ (moocow build's lacks storage)
DVD burner, go external on USB, plenty models on newegg.ca, 30$
Graphics card : hold off and see what your APU can do, especially if you want to lower resolution to 1280x720, probably you won't need a discrete graphics card
So far you already face a 600$ bill, without taxes, case and PSU
I haven't really considered going AMD. Mostly because all the threads I've read have gone Intel instead. From my limited knowledge of current tech, I think AMD CPUs draw more power and thus produce more heat? Correct me if I'm wrong. If its true though, wouldn't that pose a problem in a small, confined case?

Dang, I was really hoping this could be done on a budget.

Last edited by wonderpig; March 11, 2013 at 06:19 PM.