Thread: mITX?
View Single Post
Old March 9, 2013, 02:16 PM
Rookie

Default mITX?

Hi. I have a 4yo laptop that I want to retire. That said, I want a small PC for htpc/gaming purposes. I'm planning on putting it on a desk beside my bed so ideally, it would be small and relatively quiet. Maybe mITX? I've never built a PC before either so I was thinking of getting NCIX to build it for me. Good idea?

1. It will be used for movies, tv shows, netflix, gaming (Mostly Sims 3, Torchlight 2. Maybe SimCity when they fix the server issues, Tomb Raider and Mass Effect 3).

2. Budget is around $600-700 CAD. The cheaper the better. Is this possible?

3. I will be buying from Canada.

4. No particular brand preference.

5. I already have a 24" 1080p monitor (1920x1080 I believe), keyboard, mouse and an unused copy of Win7.

6. I've read a couple of threads and I generally understand what parts fit with each other. I just don't know what components are enough for my needs without going overboard. The threads I've read generally have budgets of $1000++ too.

7. The system will run at default speeds.

8. It isn't urgent. Maybe in a month or two. I haven't bought anything either since I'm planning on having NCIX build it for me. I can wait longer for sales as well.

9. I have a 24" 1080p 1920x1080 monitor. I've always had a laptop so I was never able to max out graphics setting for my games. Max settings would be nice but I'll be happy with medium-high too as long as it runs well.

10. I need wifi support and a DVD reader/writer (I don't have any blurays). It would be great if I get an SSD for programs and games. I also want as much HDD space as possible to store my shows.

I really want to try building it by myself but I've read that its generally not a good idea to have your first build be in a small form factor. I don't have the space for a full tower, unfortunately. Any suggestions?