View Single Post
Old March 2, 2013, 07:56 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibz View Post
I might participate, anybody got tips how to run this? would a VM running on ram disk be faster than a host machines? Should I dual boot to a ssd and read a bunch of guide on trimming windows 7 down to bones? Is there a pre-hardened/trimmed windows 7 distro available anywhere? At sub 4000mhz it's really all down to the OS.
Good 'ol XP is going to be outperform W7, I have read server 03 is also a good choice depending on the platform.

There are some stripped/lite versions out there, a good place to start would be to google tinyxp rev 9.

Keeping in mind that a lot of tweaks may or may not help depending on your specific set up, here are a few. As in most things ymmv, so testing yourself to find out what works best is key.

-Lite or stripped XP sp3 is usually your best best, install motherboard & gpu drivers

-Disable any services you don't need, such as LAN or audio

-Run with HT if off if applicable, and set affinity to 1 or 2 of your strongest cores (test to find)

-Set colour scheme to olive green and remove background, you can put it back for screenshot

-In system properties>advanced tab: Set processor scheduling to background services and memory usage to system cache.Under virtual memory click change,create a custom size of initial size 512 and a max of 512 on your c drive. (you can play with this amount to see what works best)

-Set large system cache by running regedit. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\SessionManager\Memory Management and set to 1

-Run msconfig, go to boot.ini tab and click on advanced. Set maxmem to 600 and make sure pcilock is ticked.

As sswilson said memory timings will play a crucial role, running high and tight timings will shave a lot of time off your run. Tweaking secondary and tertiary timings will also help as you get close to the edge of what your set up is capable of.

And then there is wazza...