View Single Post
Old February 23, 2013, 11:57 PM
Allstar

I don't blame you, I was a bit unsure myself before I took the plunge. I can easily say that I don't regret it one bit and was the smartest audio purchase decision I have made. You can see reviews about their stuff at this site... Emotiva XPA-3 Three-Channel Power Amplifier - Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity
That is for the XPA-3 but will give you a good idea about the company and their products. If it means anything, one of their amps in now part of their reference setup.

Yes, I've heard most of the companies you've referenced (Rotel, Bryston, McIntosh, Yamaha, Marantz) plus NAD, Parasound. Onkyo, etc etc. I've been interested in audio for about 25 years now, just never had the budget for what I wanted haha. That being said if I did have unlimited resources I would still stick to Emotiva with maybe an exception for the McIntosh tube amp for two channel listening.

You probably won't find too much info on J Design. They make the products for the name brands you mention :) Actually Emotiva just bought out Sherwood (whom I believe J Design was producing their hardware but don't hold me to that).

I know what you mean about the Energy reference but it doesn't apply in this instance. Emotiva is direct to internet so there is no overhead or middle men like the other companies, hence the price. Personally I think that they can easily compete with products costing 3 or more times as much. Obviously sound can be subjective but they make solid products with an attention to detail and a love for audio. They are just damn good at a cost the normal distribution channels can't compete with.

With the Emotiva setup you are getting more power, more flexibility, better price, and it wouldn't surprise me if it sounded better also. I haven't heard the Cambridge so I won't make any definitive statements regarding that.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N