View Single Post
Old February 23, 2013, 11:56 AM
Top Prospect

Default Looking for a few backup utility, tips, and a new hardrive.

Hi,

When built my own computer (NCIX assembled it, I picked the parts) I got a Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 HDD, but after a couple of weeks of use it started to get loud. Now, a year and four months later I have decided to get an SSD for the OS and use the Western Digital Caviar as storage. TBH I would rather not go through this hassle if possible, but I am tired of the noise and how poorly my HDD performs under stress. If I am unzipping a file or installing a game, my computer slows down significantly, to a point that videos that I am watching start skipping.

Anyways, I recently bought an ADATA ACH11 1TB , to backup my current system (around 500GB), so I am wondering a few things:

1- What's the best backup utility I can use?

2- If I make an image of my current HDD in the external HDD, once I format my current HDD will I be able to get my programs and games working again by simply restoring the image, or would I have to re-install everything?

3- I purchased windows through NCIX (came already installed) , so how do I get another copy for the SSD? (my computer didn't come with a stick on the side with the serial key)

4- What SSD will you guys recommend? (I am looking for something around 128GB, I don't think I need more than that)

Tips and suggestions are appreciated,
Thanks!
Video Card x2: Gigabyte Windforce 7950 Boost @1100/1350 || AMD Radeon R9 280 Double Dissipation Edition @ 1100/1350
Hard Drives: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB Cache 3.5IN Dual Proc Hard Drive OEM
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro
Power Supply: XFX XTR Series 750W PSU
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64Bit