View Single Post
Old February 23, 2013, 08:31 AM
Rookie

Default First Time Build - Feedback Wanted

Hello everyone! So I was told about this site through NCIX Tech Tips, which has been helping me tremendously with learning about computer hardware. I'm looking to build my first desktop

Here's a link to the part list: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black, Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850 - System Build - PCPartPicker

Obviously, its not completely done yet. I still have to choose a HDD, among other things, since the SSD is mainly a boot disk.

I'm planning on using the computer for some moderate gaming, as I want to get into PC gaming eventually. I think it should function well for that purpose. Also, trying to keep the price range low (under $800). I have the OS already, so that's not being calculated in the total price of the rig. I've also left it open for some future upgrades such as Crossfire. All the parts are coming from Amazon or Newegg. I'm planning on purchasing the parts within a week or so. I may buy some parts earlier because of current deals and such.

I'm a little bit of an ASUS fanboy, but that's only because my laptop is an ASUS and has treated me very well these past 3 years. Ultimately, I don't care for brands too too much. I've done plenty of research around the net mostly using NCIX Tech Tips and Tom's Hardware to learn as much as I can. I do plan on overclocking the system, but only a little bit. I don't much care for overclocking and just want to do it for the sake of learning how to.

My main concerns:

1. Is this a balanced build? I'm hoping to avoid bottlenecks right off the bat.

2. Will the CPU support the GPU? Reason I ask this is that I've read somewhere that some CPUs can't handle GPUs with 3.0 Express x16. I honestly don't know the validity of that statement, so please let me know.

3. Do I absolutely need a Crossfire Ready motherboard to use Crossfire efficiently? I figured 2 PCI 2.0 x16 slots would do the trick even if a firmware update is needed.

Also, it should be known that my monitor will most likely run at 1920 x 1200 resolution (the reason I'm going with a 2 GB CPU)

Thanks for any input! =D