Thread: Novice Question
View Single Post
Old February 16, 2013, 05:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Have you tried actual stress tests? See: Overclocking tools of the trade
I'd start with a CPU test like LinX, then use MSI Kombustor to test GPU. Don't use actual gameplay as a stability test - that'll just get frustrating and potentially corrupt saved games.

You're right to assume the overclock first, because software glitches almost never turn a PC completely off (generally makes your OS freeze or restart). The "easy" or automatic overclocking settings almost always use much higher voltage than normal, so that can strain both the CPU and the voltage regulator modules (VRMs) supplying it. Your motherboard seems to support ASUS's AI suite, so I suggest you use it to monitor the CPU temperatures (and potentially GPU since you have ASUS GPUs as well).

Another thing I notice is you have a strange build that has two GPUs that do not have PCI-E power cables. That means your the motherboard, any expansion cards, and your overclocked video cards are all drawing +12V from the two yellow wires on the ATX connector. IIRC the ATX spec is 8A@12V per wire, so that gives you 192W to play with in theory. You may actually be exceeding that or at least getting unstable power through those two wires when overclocked.