View Single Post
Old February 15, 2013, 12:02 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

About the best "value" you'll get is buying something that will last a long time and give you good performance throughout it's life.

That said I've gone over your budget by $80 (there is also $30 of MIR)
Intel Core i5-3570K, XFX Radeon HD 7870 - System Build - PCPartPicker Canada

Justifications are:
When you EVENTUALLY need more processing power, you drop in a custom cooler and OC that chip for a SIGNIFICANT boost. It's easy to do and there are plenty of guides.
As said above there are significant gains to be made from an SSD. The one specified is from a good company and you should see good performance.
I didn't skimp on your GPU as you'll want good graphics when your dropping this much on a build / refresh. (You also get tomb raider and bioshock with this card which you can use, sell or give as a gift, saving you some of the over-spend)

There are a few things I'd like to ask though.
What PSU have you currently got?
What resolution is your monitor?
What games do you play?
What are you doing with your old components? (you should be able to sell them to make up for the over-shoot of the budget)

Lastly, would you be better off selling the whole machine and dropping the extra budget on an entirely new build?

Shop around even more than pcpart-picker and you may find some better deals and as said above, price-match it and get it all from 1 place to save the shipping.

Last edited by Dzzope; February 15, 2013 at 12:26 AM.