View Single Post
Old February 13, 2013, 06:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by igot6strings View Post
True enough. There wasn't a huge difference in price but even if those setups I created were equal in price the intel setup would still perform better thus making it the better value in the long run. A low end z77 does run around $100, a z68 can be found for about $80.
I would love a 8350 to play with they seem like a lot of fun but there seems to be a premium price on that fun. Like I said if it was a few dollars cheaper at $169-179 I would have probably grabbed one but at $199 it just seems pointless in comparison to the intels at that price level.
But, it's not pointless. In most applications other than gaming, it's faster than a 3570K. In gaming, it comes pretty close, and it's $40 cheaper. Let's call the board prices a draw. Now, I'm not saying the 3570K isn't a better chip, but it is more expensive.

I think what's trying to be said is that the 8350 is turning out to be an acceptable replacement for the 3570K, especially for video editing and the like, and even to some extent when gaming. Some people may not like that, as AMD has had a reputation lately of producing hot, slow chips, and the Intel fanbois seem to want it to stay that way. Well, news flash, AMD finally seems to have a product that can more or less keep up.

All in all, when you're splurging on $400 worth of CPU, Motherboard and RAM, will an extra $40 for an Intel setup over an AMD setup really matter too much? Probably not. So, really, it comes down to two things. Do you want Intel? or AMD? Because at this point the two systems perform really quite similarly.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;