Thread: Catalyst 13.1
View Single Post
Old February 10, 2013, 02:15 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I'm using 13.1 of AMD Vision Control System, apparently the one they use with intel chips is called Catalyst while their own AMD chips don't get a catchy name, just the "Vision Control Centre". But a rose by any other name....

It seems to work fine for me. Does not like repeated enable-disabled the crossfire feature but a reboot between enables takes care of that. It does behave a little strangely though in that sometimes it recognizes that I have an APU I can 'dual-graphic' crossfire with one of my HD6670's or I can crossfire the two HD6670's. From what I can tell there is not much difference to be had between the dual graphic Xfire of the APU & the dGPU vs two dGPU crossfired. Sometimes one works better than the other. Sometimes it the graphic on the Xfire tab even shows an image of the APU linked to an image of a GPU, but I've only seen that come up once. Not sure why sometimes I get that option and other times I don't.

I also have downloaded AMD's Overdrive and Radeon Pro(filer) utiities, but have not figured out how to use them yet. The Overdrive is full of information about the system but you can also OC through it, have not done that yet. Just found out about the Radeon Pro game profiler that allows you to save different settings for different games. I'm learning that Il*2 Sturmovik- Cliffs of Dover WWII flightSIM is picky about how it likes its set up. But if I play with the settings I can get the Xfire to work for hours without crashing and it delivers twice the FPS as running off of just the one HD6670. (Have not tried it with just the APU). When I first tried Xfire the Dual-Graphics worked fine but the Xfired 2 GPU's stuttered terribly. Adjusting the settings within the game solved the stuttering problem. There was not much performance difference between the Xfire & the Dual-Graphics using the APU. I'm thinking I should pull the one HD6670 and use the system as it was intended with the dual-graphics that was built into the system. I don't think they thought there would be too many people put two GPU's into a system with an APU. (And I didn't plan on doing that either it just worked out that way).

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig