View Single Post
Old February 7, 2013, 01:49 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I think you'll notice very little difference from a 950, I didn't between mine and my brothers 3570k for normal day-to day usage/games(though the 3570k was much quieter due to being a cooler chip).
If you'd rather the cash in your pocket than a new shiny rig, build something for her from scratch and spend a fraction of either your current or proposed rig?
But as you say your daughter needs a machine and you likes the new shiny so I'll say no more on that unless you want me to. :P

For 2 1920x1200, get a 7950, 7970 if you just want it... The HIS IceQ2 recently reviewed is very very nice and priced to sell and it should be able to max out your games for quite some time without issue.
HIS Radeon HD 7950 IceQ X2 Boost Clock 3GB PCI-E w/ DVI, HDMI, Dual DP at Memory Express
Newegg.ca - HIS IceQ X H797QM3G2M Radeon HD 7970 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
For the price of a 670 you can have a 7970 with crysis and bioshock.. and the card will be faster in most things. Again look up reviews for yourself.
The 670 is far from bad, It's just with the price of the AMD's with that bundle they aren't the best value / Bang for buck.
In-fact to get the cheapest non-reference cooled version you have to pay $10 more than the 7970 above and thats the DCII with no factory OC from Asus with a $20 MIR, I think you get my point.

On the motherboards, I would look at the spec of each board and see what features they bring to the table. once they stop introducing things you want / need then you have found your board.
Nearly every z77 board will allow you to get a good OC so going for something that is aimed at overclockers is not really needed (see voltage read point etc etc)
I also suggest staying with an MSI as they are better value than Asus and unlike many other Manufacturers they have an RMA centre in Canada (and good customer service from what I've seen)

Sound-card, the D1 or DX are the same bar the interface. 1 is PCI the other PCI express x1.. check the positioning of your slots and chose either.

The 600t (limited ed white) is one of my favorite cases for looks, features, size and price. Main thing is, like the motherboard, find the features you want at a price your happy with, that looks nice to you and you'll be set.
There is no 1 correct answer. I'm tempted mainly by the CM Storm Stryker, 600t LE white, Cosmos II, 650D, and some of the bitfinx, nzxt and Fractal cases. Some good reviews on some good cases right here too..

Remember to look into the quality (sound vs airflow) of the installed fans and the possibility of adding to / replacing them with more / better fans (depending on the case of course)

There is a review of the H80i and H100i in the reviews section.. go check them out.