View Single Post
Old February 6, 2013, 06:51 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the replies thus far.

I admit I'm waffling a bit on the i7 - it doesn't seem like I'm giving up all that much to drop to the i5. As noted, video editing is strictly a hobby and isn't a big deal.

Terren - how does the H80i compare to the Noctura in terms of installation? Is it a simple process? That's a new type of cooler for me.

Caldezar - thanks for the suggestion on the Xonar DX. I definitely want something better than the on-board sound (never found motherboard audio to be very good), but as everyone seems to note, the audio board in my proposed system is definitely overkill (my speakers and headset are both better than average, but they are still far from top-of-the-line). I'll look into the Xonar DX.

Caldezar - you would rank the Corsair 600t over the 650D?

Dzoppe - current system is an i7-950 from 3 or 4 years ago that I've been tweaking every year or so. Resolution is 1920 x 1200, with two monitors. I don't want to refresh my current system (my teenage daughter needs a desktop to go with her laptop, so I'm going to slightly upgrade this one and then pass it along to her). I agree my proposed new system is probably more than I actually need... But I do like my toys... <shameface>. That said, I still don't want to *waste* money, so your comments are valid and appreciated! Yes, planning on doing the Blacks as RAID (will be a first - meant to, but never got around to doing it on my current system).

What specific GPUs would you suggest? There seems to be such a massive range of models that it is hard to keep up with what is giving the best value. I'm not wedded to NVidia, though I've had good experiences with them in the past.

On motherboards, any specific recommendations? Again, like GPUs, there seems to be an infinite supply of boards! LOL

Thanks again for the feedback - much appreciated! Lots of research for me to keep doing... :-)