View Single Post
Old February 5, 2013, 09:56 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_big_abyss View Post
I don't think they mean .5GB / CPU core
That's actually exactly what they mean. But it's a rule of thumb that only really applies to desktop hardware. I don't have a 64-thread machine, but I'll check my 48- and 80-thread boxes tonight to find out how much address space each needs by the end of a work unit. IIRC, 6900-series work units needed between 4-6GB by the end of the unit, so that is probably roughly doubled with the current 8100-series work units. But as I said, I'll confirm that for you tonight.

In your case, virtual machines are not an option I'm afraid. If performance on bare metal Linux is 100%, then...

• Performance on a Linux VM with one socket is about 90%.
  • Performance on a Linux VM with two sockets is about 70% (i.e., better than running separate instances, but only marginally better than running regular SMP on Windows).
  • Performance on a Linux VM with four sockets is about 30% (i.e., significantly worse than running separate instances - in fact, only marginally better than running a single instance on one socket).

So your choices are:

• Boot into Linux specifically to fold bigadv units. The pro is higher production while running. The con is that due to the high importance of quick turnaround with these units, you basically have to turn the machine into a full-time folder to make it worthwhile. Or...
  • Fold regular SMP units on Windows. The con is lower production while running. The pro is you can use your machine for whatever you want whenever you want, and since you aren't as much of a slave to the quick return bonus with regular SMP, your overall production will likely be better in the long run.

So unless you are inclined to turn the box into a full-time folding machine on Linux, then I think you can guess what I'd recommend...

Oh, and by the way...

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!