View Single Post
Old February 5, 2013, 06:46 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think you could look at more in depth testing of GPU's. A number of other websites are measuring individual frame times, not just 'FPS'. It turns out it's a good measure of the capability of a video card to provide the illusion of 'fluid motion', as well as showing where and if a card stutters.

I know you expressed doubts when I linked to The Tech Report previously, specifically the 7950 vs 660Ti review, however their methods could be considered legitimate enough that AMD has responded by releasing a new set of drivers with fixes specifically to reduce individual frame times.

PCPER.com actually improved upon the method by eliminating FRAPS. They installed a video capture card in another rig, and take the signal output from the video card being tested, and measure the frames as seen on a display. Apparently FRAPS measures frames as they come off the core, but before they go into the VRAM and subsequently the display. This method effectively eliminates that potential discrepancy between what FRAPS is recording and what your eye is seeing, WRT frame latencies.

So, I dunno, maybe something for you to think about when you revamp your GPU reviews.

Also, on a different note, maybe one of you reviewers could write an article about troubleshooting. How to deal with various problems and what testing software to use, the causes of various symptoms, etc. For example, if my video card keeps crashing in 3D Mark13 (which it is) how to test whether the VRAM is bad before sending for RMA. Or perhaps a good method to determine whether your powersupply is on the fritz, etc.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;

Last edited by great_big_abyss; February 5, 2013 at 07:54 AM.