View Single Post
Old January 28, 2013, 10:28 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by From Jim View Post
Hi Everyone,

I would like your input at to choosing suppliers for a new comuter, starting with the retailers, It will be Intel, OS probably Windows 8 64bit , motherboards, hard drives, memory, SSD drives, cooling, what ever you like and have had success with.

My new computer will be built around the 80% level, not the top but quite good, fast, cool and quiet.

I don't need the fastest processor, the hardest it will work is video editing, cad, not for games, I want a reliable, fairly fast, quiet computer that will boot quickly and last 5 or 6 years.

I have been buying from Direct Canada, NCIX, and NewEgg, all seem ok, I now have an Asus motherboard that was top when I bought it and it has served me well but I can't get help when I need it.
I live in northern NB and have to rely on the internet to make purchases, shipping is really good, and I am not it much hurry as we usually have three computers at a time.

Thanks for any help
God bless
Jim
My very favorite supplier is memory express. They have given me and my friends the best of service and have always honoured their obligations. They even went above and beyond when my black widow died a couple days after the return period, and gave me a new one.

Since you are video editing, and don't want the best of the best, I highly recommend the amd 970 platform.

This offers a single 16x pcie 2.0 slot, or 8x/8x. I assume you do not want to crossifre/sli cards, otherwise I would recommend the 990FX chipset with 2x16x slots. MSI and ASUS are the best, but I have had a few good gigabyte boards too.

This allows you to purchase the FX-8350 processor, which is of the highest price to performance ratio for many mutli-threaded apps. You can use the money saved on this good mutlithreaded processor to max out your memory to 32GB, which will allow you a sizable ramdisk drive.

Having a socket am3+ motherboard also allows you to upgrade your processor to the next two (predicted) amd generations of processors without changing motherboards.

I would go with a proven SSD. The intel 520 series has a good reputation and are comparable in price to other SSD manufacturers.

For the video card: I would do research on the exact version/brand of software you plan to be using and what CONSUMER GRADE cards work well with it. When you up the ante to workstation graphics you quite often pay a huge premium. A great example is bitcoin mining. I'll take a 5970 over a quadro 5000 (300 bucks vs 2000) any day of the week.

99.99Asus M5A97 R2.0 w/ Dual DDR3 2133, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan, USB 3.0, CrossFireX at Memory Express
209.99AMD FX-8350 Processor 4.0GHz w/ 16MB Cache at Memory Express
199.99Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR3 1866MHz CL10 Quad Channel Kit (4 x 8GB), Black at Memory Express
139.99Intel SSD 520 Series SATA III Solid State Drive, 120GB with Desktop Installation Kit at Memory Express

This is a basic ~$650 system pre video card, without a storage HDD. Since you're running this for cad I do not know if you're planning on running a raid 1 array, or something with data protection.

Otherwise I usually recommend the WD 1TB caviar black.