View Single Post
Old January 28, 2013, 07:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueByte View Post
1866Mhz is pretty much the limit of the cpu with 4 banks. I have heard of a few people getting it, I personally had to drop down to 1800Mhz to get it to POST with 32GB of RAM. Its not starved for memory speed by any means. I got my 1866Mhz kit running 2 slots at 2133Mhz and it honestly didn't feel any faster in work or games. Though one thing I have noticed with running in linux, I got a big boost in some apps. So there is something to optimization.

I didn't watch that video too closely but it looks like the scenarios they are talking about would be >4 cores. Saw something about a game + a streaming a video feed. Or running at higher resolutions where the GPU starts to bottle neck. They also overclocked the 8350 to 5Ghz and the i7 to 4.5 so any core to core comparison would be slanted and not apples to apples. I think there was a linking follow up video and these may have been in it so forgive me if I am melding the two, it was background noise one day.

I don't have an intel system right now, probably have a overkill AMD build for the budget. So I cant compare. I do like the core count for work and it seems to do well for gaming so I can't complain. I don't think anyone would be unhappy with a FX-8350 with an OC. Those videos if true are completely scenario based, and cherry picking the best AMD can offer though. Just my 2 cents as a FX-8350 owner.
I'm just planning on getting 2 sticks of 4GB, so I'm not too worried about posting it at that speed with 4 banks of RAM.

Any recommendations on RAM these days? I'm running Vengeance 1600 in my rig right now, but that RAM will follow the 1055T and my old board into my son's rig. I'm happy with the Vengeance. Should I keep with that RAM, or look elsewhere, say G.Skill?

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;