View Single Post
Old January 25, 2013, 09:03 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
Two things I never ever cheap out on when building a rig is the PSU and motherboard. If I am given a budget that I cannot accommodate a proper PSU/mobo then I tell the 'customer' (this is not a business for me) that I cannot comfortably put together a computer that I feel good putting my name to. In these situations I try to tell them to get a pre-built machine.

At the end of the day, the low end machines are the toughest to configure for sure. If I do a poor job of it, I will just end up wasting my and the customer's time (and money). I refuse to support a machine built on a crappy foundation, and to me thats the PSU and mobo.
Back in the day I built a few machines with OCZ PSUs. I ended up getting all those back eventually. Some of them even had blown motherboards due to them.

Now it's either Antec or Seasonic (for the good quality small PSUs they have, not including BASIQ) for lower end builds, and all the typical good brands for the higher end ones.

For the most part a properly built lower end machine I won't see it again for 3 or more years, which is just the way I like it.