View Single Post
Old January 24, 2013, 12:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

While I do generally advise people with the budget to get a 3570 and z77 (as it'll simply last them sooo bloody long and hold very good second hand value compared to other solutions.)
I don't see the point of the post above.

Mostly people say what they need to do and their budget and mostly people will say you should go for xyz
As always though each person will prioritize what they want most, generally forum members will give an option or 2 for said budget and usage stating the pro's and con's of each.

on point 5 your off base.. there are gains in having more cores in games. Even the x3 phenom shows increased performance over a dual core(no HT).
Then it also depends on the game they want to play, some games are incredibly processor intensive.

On USB 3 and Sata 3, well the benefit of these are noticeable and eventually the user may eventually want an SSD, all stuff that they should be saying when they ask for advice.

On point 6, a dual core will be defunct in 2 -3 years yes, definitely.. an i5 or i7 will not.
3.5 years on my i7 950 and no intention of changing it for another 2-3. There is just no reason as it's that good.

Obviously every piece of tech will become outdated eventually, but if a user has a budget of 1000, we advise what will suit their needs best and last as long as possible.
If we advised the minimum they needed then in a years time they will be struggling with the new latest and greatest and be cursing us up and down.
Also if you go for (even a low end) z77 chipset there is a drop-in upgrade available in a couple of years.

To sum it up, I agree with not over spec'ing what people need but I think your under-estimating how long the higher end stuff lasts these days and people tend to advise to the situation...
if someone asks for a 300 build thats generally what they will get.
They may get options or advised to spend a little more here or there so that they get the best performance per but they generally stick to budget.