View Single Post
Old January 22, 2013, 07:50 PM
Top Prospect

Default How to have low idle temps with dual monitors

I've been having problems with aftermarket programs crashing my video card and causing my system to lock up, with stock and GHz Edition BIOS's. If you are having the same problem and want to fix it, uninstall the program causing you to crash and use the preset system within the CCC (Catalyst Control Center). This fix is more for users who have multi monitor setups and want to keep their card cool without the use of another program like MSI Afterburner.

-----

Here's how you do it:

1. Go into the CCC and enable "AMD OverDrive" under the "Performance" tab.

Explanation: It will allow you to set your clocks, fan speed, and power level.

2. Set your clocks, fan setting, and power control settings to what you want and click "Apply".

Explanation: Set it to what ever you feel is a comfortable overclock. I set the clock speed to 1050MHz, memory speed to 1500MHz, fan speed to 80%, and power setting to +20%.

3. Open up the "Presets" menu to the left of the window and click "Add Presets...". In the next window set a name and a key combination. Click "Save". Whenever you press those keys, it will apply those settings.

Explanation: For me, I wanted the ability to play my games while overclocked and then underclock while I'm not. So, I set the clock speed to 1050MHz, memory speed to 1500MHz, fan speed to 80%, and the power setting to +20%. I then opened up the "Presets" menu to the right of the window and clicked "Add Presets...". In the next window I named my preset "Overclocked" and checked "Assign Hotkey", set it to CTRL + Shift + X, and clicked "Save". This makes it so whenever I press the keys CTRL, Shift and X, it would apply my preset.

4. Go back into the "AMD OverDrive" page and change your settings to these:
High Performance GPU clock settings: 300MHz
High Performance memory clock settings: 150MHz
*Check* Enable manual fan control: 30%
Power control settings: -20%

Click "Apply".

Explanation: These are the settings you will use while you are performing idle tasks.

5. Open up the "Presets" menu to the left of the window and click "Add Presets...". In the next window set a name and a key combination. Click "Save". Whenever you press those keys, it will apply those settings.

Explanation: You now have two presets. One for GPU intensive tasks, and one for idle tasks.

-----

Using this, I have my HD7970, running two monitors, idling at 31C with an estimated power consumption of ~0.38W. But, as always, YMMV. I know without this fix, I would be idling at 47C with an estimated power consumption of ~15.72W.

Cheers!
Mike