View Single Post
Old January 22, 2013, 10:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus2002 View Post
Why not just replace the wifi card on the old laptop if that's the only thing wrong with it? (Unless of course you're just looking for an excuse to get new toys )

I did it with my 3830TG - took 5 mins and a screwdriver!
Where did you buy a new WiFi card? And which one did you buy? I'd much rather replace a WiFi card then buy a new laptop. I already have more computers than people in the house... Plus I love how I can get a good 5h minimum when taking notes and surfing the Internet. My laptop is 2 years old around and if I can make it to 7 years like my Acer Aspire 5601...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
I'm not a big fan of AMD's mobility drivers.... my 6500M series laptop does not work well with new drivers when it comes to switching between low power and high power GFX. I've pretty much had to stick with the drivers that shipped with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
They should be very close to the same. The 5470 will consume more power, but have better drivers. The 4000 will use less power, but has slower driver updates. I would go for the integrated given the 5470 is getting close to EOL.
I modded the BIOS for my 3820TG so I can use the latest drivers without having to worrying about not being able to use new drivers, as I can switch and disable/enable the 5470 in the BIOS. Having said that, the 5470 is EOL and there's no more new Catalyst drivers available. Well last I checked anyways.