View Single Post
Old January 17, 2013, 07:22 AM
Allstar

[QUOTE=fortkentdad;684898]Where is the VG.A. meeting?
Hi my name is David and I'm 58 and am addicted to video games. Got a Playbook for Christmas and spend way too much time driving my virtual racing car around the track.

:)

Remember: Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted.[/QUOTE

My wife saw this posting and sent me an email

Quote:
Why won't my loved one acknowledge that he/she has a problem?

A person with an drug problem often does not recognize or at least admit that he/she has a problem. Usually by the time the person's use has become a problem evidenced by undesirable consequences, the person has become dependent on drugs.

Do not get stuck on the words. The bottom line is that DRUGS KILL PEOPLE EVERY DAY.

A drug can be defined as "any article, other than food, intended to affect the structure or any function of the body of humans or other animals.” While some drugs - prescription drugs and in some states marijuana - may be purchased legally in our society when used in such a way that a person becomes dependent on them, drugs can and do kill.

The challenge with getting someone who has become dependent on drugs to be open to getting help is two-fold:

The person's thinking is not clear so they are not able to make logical decisions; and
drug impacts the brain in a way that the brain signals the body that it constantly needs more drugs in order to feel "normal.”

Through the process of taking/using drugs, the person's tolerance level increases which means they need to take more of the drug for them to achieve the feeling they seek. Sometimes when the drugs they've been using no longer "work” for them, they switch to another drug as they chase a feeling. Through this process, they become more dependent on drugs…eventually leading to their own downward spiral. For this reason, drug dependence can be described as the "disease of more” – nothing is ever enough, they constantly want more of everything, especially drugs.

CHEERS