View Single Post
Old January 11, 2013, 06:03 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Success! Cloned C: drive to Samsung SSD

Well I managed to clone my C: drive to a Samsung 840 series 120 GB SSD (BTW the Samsung clone program that I downloaded from their web site didn't work)

For those who want to do it, here's how I did. (no claims on being an expert. Probably better ways to do it but this worked for me). It was surprisingly easy.

Hook the new SSD up to your system and boot (or reboot if you have hot swap drives)
Run Disk Manager - give it a MBR (master boot record) and right click on the drive select new simple volume and give it a letter. (go to the start button and just start typing disk man and it will pop up)
Download Easeus todo backup free from cNET
EaseUS Todo Backup Free 5.5 - CNET Download.com
Install and run it
Clone the C: drive to the new drive letter N (or whatever you picked) It did want to create a large system reserved partition on the drive. It shows you what it will do but I clicked and dragged it back to 1GB from 12.5 GB. Probably could have made it smaller than that but I didn't know what I was doing. I figured a GB was more than necessary. Somebody smart than me can comment.
When finished
Swap the drives and pull your old one out of the case
Reboot the machine
Windows rebooted once on me but then everything was fine.
Run Disk Manager and right click on the drive, properties, and change the name to something you like.

I think that was all the highlights

The Samsung SSD magician v3.2 software is kind of fun to fiddle with if you have a Samsung drive.
Attached Images