View Single Post
Old January 10, 2013, 08:31 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

An Ultrabook is simply a laptop that meets Intel's specs for being an Ultrabook; I'm willing to bet that the branding also costs money. Think of the "Centrino" thing Intel did before - I got a laptop with a Broadcom WiFi card, so it wasn't "Centrino". There are great laptops out there that aren't "Ultrabooks", for instance any laptop with an AMD processor (since Ultrabook is an Intel branding). I just purchased an Ultrabook because I wanted a SSD cached drive, and for some reason only the Ultrabooks had such a storage system. I really didn't care for the "thinness" or the anti-theft tech, but I cared a lot about the SSD and anything that isn't an ultrabook for the consumer space is crippled with a slow HDD. (Yes there's buying a separate Momentus XT but I don't want to have to modify a brand new laptop because they're just not fun to work on, with the flimsy cables internally.)

If you have a customer who's asking what's the difference, just point them to Ultrabook specs. As always with computers, just look at the parts the user needs regardless of silly marketing terms.
"The computer programmer says they should drive the car around the block and see if the tire fixes itself." [src]