View Single Post
Old July 11, 2008, 11:33 AM

My System Specs

Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
<SNIP>This is not just about a little picture, it is about someone stealing something that does not belong to them. I have been watching this and anyone that doesn't think this is a big deal just does not have a clue at all and need to not comment in that fashion.
orly? The thesis seems to be that this guy took HWC/Sky's work, for profit, and gave no credit. This seems a little vague to me and warrants a lot more exposition. If 3GM had been DMCAed by Fox for taking the 13 seconds of FF4:RSS footage, for profit, without crediting it, do you really think the response here would have been, "right on - you go Fox - protect your rights"?

Before you say it, it is not that same thing. That is part of my point. There are a lot more factors that need to be talked about and are not being talked about here. Do not get me wrong; this is not a defense of 3GM. It is a warning to those who think that trotting out the lawyers is something like blowing your nose. IANAL but I have looked into this area a lot and I doubt, for a variety of reasons, you could make a case here. If you are a copyright lawyer or have been involved with a similar case that has actually gone to trial please tell the story.
He either fears his fate too much, or his deserts are small, that dares not put it to the touch, to gain or lose it all.
- James Graham