View Single Post
Old January 7, 2013, 03:21 AM
Top Prospect

The icons and the software really have nothing to do with the SSD - think of it as just a regular drive.

If you want your new configuration to be the same you should make a backup of your computer, add the SSD drive instead of the old hard drive, then restore the backup you made to the new SSD. When you run windows afterward, there will be no difference, your icons will be there and all your programs; you just replaced one boot drive with another very fast one. And they ARE fast!

I used Acronis backup to make a copy of my c: drive and the boot partition (and the MBR) to another drive in the system (or to a USB external drive - the same, just it will be slower). I then removed the old sata boot drive and replaced it with the SSD. I booted up using a bootable acronis backup cd, used restore to restore my backup, then rebooted. It worked perfectly and I had a computer with the same setup, icons and everything as before with no trouble. I then installed the Intel Trim utilities (this was a while ago when trim was necessary) and I was done.

Upgrading to an SSD doesn't necessarily mean upgrading windows. When you install a new copy of windows or an upgrade copy, the existing windows folder will be renamed windows.old. Don't do that, just backup then restore the same windows you have.

Issues:
-make sure the data you have now on your current boot drive will fit on the SSD before you start. For example if you have 400 Gbytes of data and software on your C: drive now, you won't be able to back them up and restore them on a new 240 Gbyte SSD drive. You need to plan and think of what you absolutely need to have on the C: drive: maybe remove old photos and movies, uninstall a few programs (and maybe reinstall them on a different drive on your system)....

-this is rare but it is a possibility: depending on what other upgrades you might have done to the system, you might have to activate windows again. It happened to me once when I replaced the motherboard and I had to call microsoft (it wasn't a big deal). I don't think this will happen when you replace a boot drive with a new one (I've upgraded three pcs with an SSD without any trouble).