View Single Post
Old January 6, 2013, 05:07 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontier204 View Post
ARK | Intel® Celeron® Processor G530 (2M Cache, 2.40 GHz)
In their lower-end CPUs, Intel cripples a bunch of instruction set support, including some VM capabilities.

I wouldn't trust that case/PSU combo unless you can find a GOOD review on that PSU to say that it won't blow up.

Unless the 2GB RAM stick is free, just pull a stick of RAM out of your main rig that you have in "my system specs" instead of wasting $10-15 or so on the RAM. When you save up for / obtain the 4 or 8GB, then put the RAM back into your main rig. I'm not sure about SETI, but Rosetta and GPUGrid tasks on BOINC eat enough RAM to make it that you can't share a VM and the crunching on 2GB.

Here's some ideas using the outgoing AMD FM1 platform:
Newegg.ca - COOLER MASTER Elite 311 RC-311B-SWN1 Silver Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Newegg.ca - MSI A55M-P33 FM1 AMD A55 (Hudson D2) Micro ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
Newegg.ca - Intel EXPI9301CTBLK Network Adapter 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps PCI-Express 1 x RJ45 (use with onboard or buy 2 of them)
Newegg.ca - Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D Green 380W Continuous power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Newegg.ca - AMD A4-3300 Llano 2.5GHz Socket FM1 65W Dual-Core Desktop APU (CPU + GPU) with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD Radeon HD 6410D AD3300OJHXBOX
Newegg.ca - Nippon Labs eSATA Bracket Two SATA II internal cable to 2 port ESATA bracket for SATA I and SATA II Hard Drive Model ESATAB-2P

Thanks for the input here. That is why I came to this forum. The only thing I disagree with is swapping memory out of my current build. I run VMPlayer frequently on my main rig, so I can't afford to be taking memory out of it. Even if I didn't run VMs, I wouldn't want to take a stick of memory out anyways. That aside, I've scrapped most of the other hardware I has posted, as yours' seems more thought out. I can't say I wouldn't have ended up with something similar ever, but it looks better. Thanks