View Single Post
Old January 5, 2013, 08:30 AM
MVP

Default NAS or Home server?

Well if you remember a while ago I was going to build a serious gaming PC around a BitFenix Prodigy/ Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe mobo/ Seasonic X660 PSU. Was going to get a 7970 or a 670 and a 3770K but never got around to it due to limited funds since then.

However it has come to my attention that I build these powerful computers....then almost NEVER game on them and just use them for internet. WHAT A WASTE!!!!

It has also come to my attention that whenever I need space I seem to never have enough...

So here is the question. Should I build a Windows Home Server ( or better yet a Linux based alternative ) or just buy a NAS and populate that with some Western Digital Reds 2TB.

Just to clarify I already have a case, PSU, mobo, 8GB of Samsung LP ram sitting here....may as well not let them go to waste or I will just resell them.

IF I decide to go server I just just purchase a Intel Core i3 3220T ( 35W ) and slap that in and use the onboard GPU.

Any opinions will be appreciated.

For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal is psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity.

When a ladder was stolen from a store the manager said that further steps would be taken