View Single Post
Old January 3, 2013, 07:05 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontier204 View Post
As BlueByte mentioned, you'll be wasting the GPU side of the A10 if you pair it with any GPU. (Even if you wanted to use the dual graphics feature, price/performance still goes to a regular CPU or Intel + a GPU that outperforms the dual graphics.)

From Newegg.com prices (because of your USA location), an Asus F2A85-PRO + A10-5800K will set you back $270. For the same $270 you could get with better performance:

Intel, no OC: (EDIT: also satisfies your curiosity for "APUs" as Ivy Bridge contains an IGP)
Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-3470 Ivy Bridge 3.2GHz (3.6GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2500 BX80637i53470
Newegg.com - MSI B75MA-P45 LGA 1155 Intel B75 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

AMD, with OC:
Newegg.com - AMD FX-6300 Vishera 3.5GHz (4.1GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W Six-Core Desktop Processor FD6300WMHKBOX
Newegg.com - ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990X SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
(seems to be a $10 instant rebate in with the CPU but doesn't show in the price)
Thanks for the input!
As I mentioned in my previous reply to BlueByte, The FM2 build is currently cheaper than an AM3+ build with the parts we want, We don't need to worry about cores or OC as much.

As for the IGP, The A10's GPU is much stronger than Intel's (according to the reviews I've read/watched, and benchmarks) So it's a good fallback for my (heavily) used 7850 that could very easily fail. According to the previous owner it was bought at the release of the 7850 Twin Frozr, And been in pretty uch daily use since then, And it's performance is starting to drop a bit. (Then again it could be my half broken motherboard...) but it's a good fallback.

If prices shift I might change to an AM3+ build, or possibly an Intel build, But in that case we'll probably buy a new graphics card alltogether.
"Well... It's the "Oh s**t!" fan."
"What do you mean?"
"Well what do you say when your graphics card hits 90c?"