View Single Post
Old December 16, 2012, 09:34 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Unless they changed things around, F@H SMP does not work on 32-bit Linux, so you may have gotten a 32-bit uniprocessor workunit. TOP should actually be reading the percentage of CPU use as # of CPUs * the actual usage, like 200% on a dual core or 400% on a quad. Which F@H client are you using?

There's also a GUI "System Monitor" that comes by default with a Ubuntu install which looks a lot like the task manager - it displays individual core usage.

I also had issues trying to get an nVidia 5xx working on Ubuntu - part of it is that it tries to load the open-source driver which is a disaster on that card: [Phoronix] Nouveau Re-Clocking, NVIDIA vs. Nouveau Drivers

Things work out better if you use the nVidia drivers. (Packages are nvidia-current-updates, nvidia-experimental-304, nvidia-experimental-310 for different versions of the drivers). Also I recommend trying different GUIs through LXDE (package is lubuntu-desktop), KDE (kubuntu-desktop), or Gnome3 (gnome-shell). You can select the GUI to use at the login screen if you have more than one installed.
"The computer programmer says they should drive the car around the block and see if the tire fixes itself." [src]