View Single Post
Old December 11, 2012, 11:23 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Talking EVGA DARK + Car Radiator (Renamed)

"No N!GG@. It's like 'A Tribe Called Quest' You gotta say the whole thing!" A Pimp Named Slickback - Boondocks. I figure my 'new' pc will cost about a Grand and be quite pimpin' hence the working name "A Pimp Named G-Stack".

*******BACK STORY
This build is to replace / rebuild my previous PC. I foolishly installed a cheap PSU my brother gave me in an attempt to save a few bucks. I should have known better. The Wattage was enough but the 600W Ultra PSU had 2 non working fans (which I found out after the catastrophe). I finally realized if I dropped my CPU multiplier from 9 to 8.5 I could work around the issue of needing to overclock my ram to run faster than 4.2 GHz. I am I hit 4.5GHz ON AIR. 100% stable. Great mobo and a SUPERB CPU. Then 3 or 5 days later BAM! The PSU grenaded my PC.

My Soundblaster Audigy 4 PRO (with the sexy external box with more DACS n what not) SURVIVED.
My 6870 windforce Video card is under warranty and being sent out for an RMA.
I have not tested my HDD's or my fan controller yet. I have not been in a rush.
I have not been able to test my RAM (I have two old & cheap 775 boards, but they cant use the 2gig modules or 1066mhz). MOBO, CPU are dead. My Antec 900 case has given me admirable performance. As you would expect the case is fine. I don't even think she is aware of what happened!

So I managed to salvage my awesome sound card. I am fanatical about sound quality (mostly music).
I hope to have a new GPU under warranty. HDD's and fan controller may be ok.

*******CURRENT STATE OF AFFAIRS
I knew I wanted a nice Mobo. I thoroughly enjoyed overclocking my E8400. This will be my 3rd PC build. In college I used a $50 ECS mobo. Treated me great. I OC'd my ram quite well, but it could not do the CPU at all (despite claims otherwise). The next PC the E8400 rig that was recently murdered I went with a Gigabyte UD3 board shortly after they came out. GREAT reviews and I know enough about electricity and amplifiers to appreciate the quality mosfet chips and the double copper power and ground layers. I knew wanted to buy a new Gigabyte Mobo.

I was checking out different CPU's and realized most of the I7's are for socket 1155 but 4? are for Socket 2011. So I got reading up on the differences and I liked the idea of Socket 2011 with futureproofing in mind. PErhaps in 2 - 5 years I will want to buy a GPU or two that would be bandwidth limited on PCIE 2.0 X16. Also It seems to me as if the 1155 will cease having new chips made before the 2011 does. I realize for gaming and my everyday use my rig will likely be a touch slower than a comparable 1155 (since I don't use anything to my knowledge that appreciates multitasking).

*Mommy - Gigabyte ASSASSIN2*
My decision to go socket 2011 was made final when I came across some parts bigFOIG was selling. I decided to purchase the Gigabyte Assassin2 for $200 shipped.
The mobo has a nice Sound Blaster audio chip on board. The irony is I am installing a better card.
The mobo has a Bigfoot 2100 network chip. I BARELY do any online gaming so I may see no bennefit.
The gun on the board looks kinda cheesy but I suspect it will grow on me.
The mobo ONLY has 3 PCIe GPU slots, but I have only ever used 1 GPU.
Considering I paid $200 the mobo should do an excellent job of maintaining it's value.

*New PSU - Antec TPQ-1200 OC*
A few weeks prior I had been looking for a new PSU. I ended up finding a slick deal at NCIX. An Antec True Power Quattro 1200 for $129. The reviews on various sights looked good to me. More power and cables than I will likely ever use, 5 year warranty and the cables are LONG. I know I could have got a GREAT power supply for say 70 - 90 bucks, but after the incident with the last one it was pretty easy for me to splurge a bit. When I recieved the package I got a pleasent surprise! They sent me the OC edition. 2 dials on the back. 1 for fan speed, and 1 to adjust the 12V output (fine tune the 12V voltage). I do wish the dials were shrouded or they were recessed inside hte case and required a screw driver to adjust. I'm sure this won't cause me any issues, but if a novice ended up with it as a FREE UPGRADE it may be a different story.

*RAM IT IN - 4X4GB Mushkin 2400MHz.*
I have used two different sets of ram in previous builds. My first build had 2X1GB Mushkin 667-4-4-4-10. Using the $50 ECS MOBO I was running 820-3-4-3-10! Plus lifetime warranty? I fell in love. My recent PC used some 2X2GB Patriot Viper Ram 1066-5-5-5-15 I bought used from a friend. I added 2 more sticks a week before the PC died. The Viper's performed admirably though I never tried to OC as my focus was on the CPU OC and I could not 'REALLY' adjust them separately like my old ECS mobo.

I was looking around debating between 4X4GB 2133 or 1600 with tighter timings and lower price, OR going with 4X8GB 1600. I've read 32GB is super over kill. I had 4GB for the longest time so I would almost expect this. BUT ram is CHEAP! Future proofing, AND I like the idea of having 500,000 times more ram than my first computer (a used Commadore 64). 500,000 times more ram. It's kind of mind blowing.

I saw many nice options and was leaning to Some Patriot RAM, but I wanted to buy MUSHKIN again. I am not expecting similar performance improvements when OC'ing. It is unrealistic. ALSO it from an age when there were a few DDR2 modules that could OC INSANE compared to rated speeds. IT seems most online retailers do not have many offerings from Mushkin and I could not find any 1600 or faster Mushkin 8GB sticks. I checked Mushkins website and saw a nice variety of products available. I decided to hit up E-Bay. Lots of Mushkin on there. I was going through and eventually saw some 2400mhz stuff. I was intrigued. I ended up buying 2 kits of 2X4GB 2400MHz @ 10-12-12-28 1.65V. The price? $150 shipped! I was likely going to spend that for 32GB of 1600 so I figured why not!

The seller has a FANTASTIC reputation. They had 10 for sale. I bought the last two. If they had any left I would have posted a message right away to let other HC users know!

Last edited by mattydies; December 11, 2012 at 12:47 PM.