View Single Post
Old December 6, 2012, 11:10 AM
Allstar

When my machinen boots, it will boot into whatever I have set in BIOS as the boot device. If I press F8 at boot time, it will finish the basic POST tests then present me with a menu of available devices I can boot from. In my case Floppy, Optical, USB, or any one of three RAID-1 arrays (one of which is the default). I simple select which alternate I want and the system boots from that device.

The second method of dual-booting is to install one OS as the first option. Then install the second OS. An entry in the bootloader sequence has to be made for the second OS, either manually or by the install script, so that when the second OS is selected controll is transfered to its boot laoder. This is known as chaining bootloaders. The hassles can be when they don't want to "play nice together".

Virtual machines are just what they sound like. One creates a virtual device using software such as VMWare, VirtualBox, etc. that functions like a separate computer (but using only one set of hardware) on which you can then install operating systems and software. Each "virtual machine" functions as a separate entity (though they can be setup to share data and resources) isolated from each other.

Hope that makes more sense.