View Single Post
Old December 1, 2012, 04:42 PM
Rookie

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioneater View Post
It basically is an overclocked 6100, with a bit more cache, but also is a 125W chip compared to 95W on the 6100. In all honesty why not just get one of these: Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX It is a great chip for games.
I have a case of upgrade fever myself. got a 3930K system and an EVGA SR-2 dual Xeon system this year - and i'm still thinking about buying a mini-ITX system ... just because I like them. An AM3 board vs. a Socket 1155 board. I think the AM3 board is winning, but I will probably go for the Athlon 2 940. It has been on sale for down to $70. The 955 is tempting at $100 and the 6100 is damn tempting at $110 - especially for a 95 watt part.

But I think back to some friends I used to buy computer parts from in Silicon Valley. I'd go down there on Fridays, try to do my negotiating when they're in a good mood.

I would buy 2 duffel bags worth of computers, take them back to San Francisco, and sell them to geeks on that side of the bay.

I remember how much fun those guys had playing Duke Nukem on a 486.

My point being, even a 486 is a good chip for games !

I also wonder - what computer did JK Rowling use when she started writing Harry Potter, 15 or 20 years ago ?

I've been going through some old computer stuff, Barton era. I had to clear my hallway, had about 18 computers I got at estate sales last year.

I am keeping the Barton systems inside because I they are fast enough for many good applications, and they're more power-efficient than the Pentium 4's I put outside.

As sort of an engineering/ geek challenge, I am trying to get my power bill down to about $20 a month. My water heater is electric, and the heat is electric. So I don't mind at all sitting in my office with the 2 hex-core systems running, when it's 40 degrees outside & 60 inside.

OK yes I did go off on a tangent there.

Getting back to the 6100, this is AMD's page for it -

Search AMD

AMD FX 6-Core Black Edition FX-6100 (FD6100WMGUSBX) Details

That is wierd, they are selling one 6100 for $135 & 2 for $110

As far as the AMD 6100 goes, THANK GOD for AMD.

My personal need for speed led to me giving my $$ to Intel this year. So I'm grateful to the people who are buying AMD, I would like to see them come back and out-Athlon-64 Intel once again.

Last edited by lowfat; December 1, 2012 at 08:20 PM. Reason: no need for the monsterous font :)